DIY Maker Space Broadcast Projects
Pyrate Box Radio
Easy to install firmware image to instantly turn your low cost Raspberry Pi radio super computer into a powerful broadcast appliance written in Python 3. It’s simple; just download and copy the self-installing IMG firmware to an SD card. Pop the card into your Raspberry Pi 3, boot up, and you’re in the broadcasting business!
The Pyrate Box comes complete with the following features:
- Observer for total broadcast automation. Includes online media library, community play lists, scheduler with permissions matrix to manage your volunteers
- Obplayer dashboard creates a streaming mount point of easily scheduled content you create with "drag and drop " smart play lists. Send a LIVE scheduled stream to Youtube with a mix of video and slides.
- Configured Icecast streaming media server for both audio and video to set up an easy online radio station or streaming video channel.
- CAP based emergency alerting for audio and visual unattended EAS messages with the Canadian Alert Ready network.
- Support for most modern audio, image and video codec
- RTP/Livewire support for AXIA digital consoles
Read the current Release Notes
We wish to support experimenters and educational DIY Maker space broadcast projects and experimenters with an inexpensive Pyrate Box Radio image and you are always free to check out our DIY Open Source broadcaster downloads page to get started with licence free software.
Raspberry Pi Radio
Use Open Broadcaster on a Raspberry PI ARM based CPU for a radio appliance to run broadcast automation for online streaming and micro radio station FM broadcasting with unattended EAS CAP emergency alerting.
Broadcast your own FM radio station with a Raspberry PI radio using the Open Broadcaster Linux multimedia framework and lower costs associated with radio station start-ups.
Build your own signage and IPTV community online digital jukebox server with our open source DIY kits and plans for community digital display signage and IPTV network using these low cost embedded devices.
Maker space your own broadcast FM and online radio station for free
Super easy, budget friendly, open source broadcast solutions for your Maker space project. Create an amazing, low-tech online digital jukebox broadcast automation system using a cloud based media library with an on-air LPFM Part15 micro RF transmitter at your Maker space radio lab. Learn how to create community radio content and start an online radio station from home with open source software running on inexpensive broadcast hardware recycled from the landfill using our “how to” guides.
We can help with service and training to assist your group in learning how to make a radio station and podcast network from your computer. Start now by setting up a program with your Maker space for exciting elementary school class projects like DIY broadcasting of Pyrate FM radio and other low tech activities including community digital jukebox libraries. Stay current at your Python Web hackathon and maker space by developing open broadcaster enabled applications that work with the global industrial internet of things. Stream your online radio station to a LPFM transmitter.
- Tutorial videos and webinars on how to make a radio station at home for free
- Raspberry Pi ARM computer with open source broadcast automation radio station software downloads
- Building a low cost Raspberry PI radio micro online station digital jukebox
- Easy Maker space projects with detailed internet radio station broadcast equipment. studio packages and parts list
Disclaimer. Use this software and systems only when it is legal to do so in your country. Raspberry Pi super computer are very interesting for experimenters\ hobbyists but I would not recommend them for critical production applications, especially for CAP emergency alerting. They will work, 99.9% of the time, but from our hands on experience, not 99.99%. For a list of production ready appliances, please browse our catalog